Saturday, November 21, 2015

Writing And Music

I've been asked about music, and whether I listen when writing.  In general I do.  Especially during the initial phase, when creating the first draft.  That's the "writing into blank pages" part, getting it out for the first time, and in my experience the right music helps.

During the editing phase, after the initial writing is done, I prefer quiet.  It's easier to catch everything without distractions.  However, living in a small house, with lots usually going on, the isolation of music -- and a good set of headphones -- can become a necessity to get anything done.

So I've listened to a lot.  Across the writing and editing of all five books, I'd have to say I've probably listened to thousands and thousands of hours.  Maybe more.

Funny thing is, most of that was incredibly repetitive.  Certain songs worked for certain parts of the process and so I listened to those ... over, and over, and over again.

Here's a sample of some of my best options for the creative (first draft) phase:

Anjuna Beats - most
Armin van Buuren - much
Tiesto - many
George Accosta - some
Thrillseekers: Nightmusic - lots

And others of similar type; vocal trance, trance and house.  Less or no words, transcendent music.

Some video game soundtracks, such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution and others.  For certain scenes, some mixes like those by DJ Baby Anne, other breakbeats and dance stuff, old New/Dark Wave and Industrial, like Depeche Mode, The Cruxshadows, Assemblage 23, Front 242 and others.  Even a few pop songs; whatever might've been popular at the time I was writing.  In fact for one scene I remember listening to Selena Gomez on repeat for almost an hour.  I'm just being honest.

Please don't hate.  :-)

Writing some of the more intense action scenes I amped the aggression and/or pace.  Metal and similar styles, fast hits and hard beats, epic choruses if possible.  Specific tracks that worked:

Korn ft. Skrillex - Get Up
Static-X - Push It
Hadouken - Turn The Lights Out
Ministry - NWO
Volbeat - Warrior's Call
Stemm - Face The Pain
Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader
Five Finger Death Punch - Lift Me Up
Slipknot - Duality
Die Antword - Fatty Boom Boom
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song (Trent Reznor)
The Prodigy - Warrior's Dance

And others.

And, of course, throughout the books a few specific songs are named.  Generally I listened to those when writing those parts, just to get the feel of what was being referenced.

Music.  Not every writer uses it, but I believe many do.  I definitely find a use for it at certain stages.

Plus music is just awesome.

#TeamStarAngel
#MakeItBetter

No comments:

Post a Comment