Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Inception of "Star Angel"

Now that I've described where the idea for a book series like "Star Angel" came from (previous blog), where did I get the idea for the story itself?

Interestingly, from a dream.

Once I decided the criteria for the story I would write, I began the work of fitting the pieces of that puzzle into a coherent structure.  I knew the story would feature a young heroine; I knew it would be sci-fi; I knew it would be an all-ages read, with a an emphasis toward Young Adult readers; I knew I wanted lots of action but with a strong romantic thread; it needed to be epic, with a big back story that set the stage for the unspooling of grand events; the beginnings needed to be humble, preferably set right here on Earth in order to anchor everything that would unfold to some common reality ...

Hm.  What to write?

While mulling this over I had a dream.  Nothing exactly like the eventual story, and certainly not very coherent (what dream ever is?), but the elements were there and they led to what eventually became "Star Angel".  In fact, the dream sequence in "Book One: Awakening" is taken almost exactly from one part of the dream.  Which then ties in to dreams the main character, Jessica, has off and on in subsequent books.  Which, of course, ties together the overall arc of the story and her journey toward self discovery.

In the dream, as in the story, there was a girl, lost in a strange land with an overpowered hero who had no recollection of who he was or where he came from, and all of this sort of gelled in the days after I awoke to form the basis of the "Star Angel" saga.

If you're here or if you've read this far, you may also have browsed the Team Star Angel site (TeamStarAngel.com).  If so then you've seen that, while the site has everything to do with the books, it also has a mission of its own.

In my next post I'll go over the origin of Team Star Angel.

#TeamStarAngel
#MakeItBetter

No comments:

Post a Comment